Friday 28 September 2012

My A/W Berry Lip Picks

 
If you have been watching any of my Youtube videos over the summer you will know that I have not shut up about coral lipsticks. But the seasons are inevitably changing and as much as I love my coral lipsticks, I am a serious Autumn/Winter person. So at the first hint of frost last week, I dug out my spicy Christmas candles and woolly jumpers and sectioned off the berry lipsticks in my collection.
As a pale girl the berry lip trend seems to work in my favour, so I tend to take advantage and go all out with the bold shades. That said, there are so many different shades of red/plum/purple out there so whatever your skin tone, this trend can work for you, it's just about picking the right shade.
So here are a handful of my favourite Berry lip colours, ranging in price from drugstore to high-end and ranging in shade from tomato red to Gothic blue-purple!
L to R: Nars Velvet matte lip pencil-Cruella, Revlon Just Bitten Kissable balm stains- Crush & Romantic, Revlon lip butter- Red Velvet, Rimmel Kate Moss Lasting finish Matte lipstick- 107, Mac Pro longwear lipcreme- goes and goes, Mac lipstick- Rebel.
L to R: Revlon- Red Velvet, Revlon- Romantic, Crush, Mac- Rebel, Rimmel- 107, Nars- Cruella, Mac- Goes and Goes.
Revlon Lip Butter- Red Velvet
 
  I'm sure you've all heard the Revlon lip butters talked to death so I'll keep it short. Gimmicks aside this is a lovely moisturising brown toned berry red. You can wear it sheer or build it up like I've done in the picture. Because it's a lip balm it is easy and comfortable to wear and fades evenly.


Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains - Romantic & Crush
 



Again Revlon has done good with the massively popular 'kissable balm stains' and I was really impressed by the formula of these. They are the right amount of glossy without being tacky and last extremely well on the lips leaving them stained when the product fades. As you can see I have had ALOT of use out of 'Romantic' over the summer and I am still very much in love with it so it is firmly in my handbag going into the colder months.
I actually only got the shade 'Crush' today (it has been hard to get hold of so I ordered it off good old EBay). As my first time wearing it I can tell this will be a go-to A/W Berry shade for me and I already know I love the formula.
 
Mac- Rebel (Satin Finish)
Mac's notorious berry shade

 Everyone and their dog talks about this colour during the colder months and for good reason. It's a fun and flattering plum/purple shade which I like to wear subtly dabbed onto the lips with a lip balm as well as boldly. One thing I will say about Rebel is that because it's a Satin finish it can drag a bit with application so I have found that I prefer to Pat the product on layer by layer rather than swiping it across my lips.
 
Kate Moss for Rimmel Lasting finish - 107
 
 
 
At £5.49 from Boots and Superdrug this is the cheapest of my berry lips picks but by no means is it inferior in quality. It has a pleasant watermelon scent and for a matte lipstick it glides on really nicely and is not at all drying. The shade is a really pretty berry red (getting sick of the word berry yet?), and I was surprised by how instantly I loved it. Out of all of the lipsticks mentioned, because of the price and the quality this is the one that I recommend you run out and buy.
 
Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil - Cruella
(Recently dubbed 'The Mother of all Matte Reds'- by me)
 This photo doesn't quite do the lipstick justice but hopefully gives you an idea of how amazing this colour is. 'Cruella' is a Matte shade so is really on trend for A/W, and Nars has done brilliantly with the formula because it sits really comfortably on the lips, making it feel like you are wearing nothing. Another great thing about this product is that because it's a jumbo-pencil you can get precise application with no need for a matching lip liner.
When I wear this product I get a feeling of ultimate 20s glamour, like I am fresh out of the pages of Gatsby. Because of this I think Cruella will be my go-to Christmas lip colour as it is so easy to wear and who doesn't want to feel like a starlet around festive season.
 
This last lipstick is something of a Wild Card and remains in my collection from when I was a little more daring/wacky with colours. These days I mostly reserve it for Halloween and scaring off little kids. But here it is anyway, just in case it is up your alley:
Mac Pro Longwear Lipcreme- Goes and Goes
 
 

Not sure what else to say about this one other than "EEK what was I thinking", but if this shade does happen to tickle your fancy, I can assure you that the pro longwear lipcreme formula is very creamy and long wearing (obvs). It's a Gothic looking blue-toned purple with subtle shimmer that really doesn't translate onto the lips.
 
 And those were my A/W Berry Lip picks!
Let me know what some of your favourite A/W shades & formula's are because I have a major berry yearning as of late.
 
Rachy x
 
 

12 comments:

  1. Red lips really suit you. I love the Clinique chubby sticks. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I haven't tried the chubby sticks but have heard good things, I'm intrigued by the Chubby stick intense coming out soon x

      Delete
  2. Fun! I've been all about warm plums :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. warm plums are so addictive for autumn don't you think! x

      Delete
  3. You look absolutely stunning! Those color shades really suit you. Love the lippies you picked, will have to check out Crush & Cruella :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Definitely check those two out they are lovely x

      Delete
  4. Oh gosh and the last one, I remember when you have your lavender lip colour obsession... I went and bought crush, going to use it today, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol yeh that was a weird obsession which really didn't suit me. Yay for crush, lucky u found it straight away I looked in about 3 boots/superdrugs and couldn't find it! X

      Delete
  5. Oh god! I think Nars and Rimmel look amazing on you!!
    I really love them all !!
    Greetings from Greece! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello and thank you! They are lovely colours :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Nars lip pencil looks amazing! Never heard of that one before but now it is on my wish list, a perfect red! Thank you for sharing with swatches and pictures! x S.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so cute~! And Romantic looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...